First chartered in 1727 as a parish of Gilmanton, known as Upper Gilmanton. In 1859, the voters of the town petitioned to rename the town Belmont, to honor Mr. August Belmont, a New York financier, in hopes that he might make a financial contribution to the town. Mr. Belmont, however, never even bothered to acknowledge the act. The town borders Lake Winnisquam.
Like much of New Hampshire, Belmont’s history centers on the flow of the Tioga River and the mills that clustered along its banks. The Town Seal indicates the importance that this industry played in Belmont’s past.
Belmont contains 30.2 square miles of land area and 1.8 square miles of inland water area. Belmont has waterfront on Lake Winnisquam, Silver Lake and Sargent Lake.
There are 131 Class V Town maintained public roads and 10 Class VI Town unmaintained public roads in Belmont, both totaling 65 miles in length; 3 of which have been designated as Scenic Roads.