The town of Moultonboro resides astride the nothern end of Lake Winnipesaukee. With it's frontage of 15 miles on Squam Lake , and that of Lake Kanasatka, Berry Pond and ten smaller ponds, Moultonboro offers a longer shoreline than any other town in the state. Red Hill and the Ossipee Mountain Range rise high above the surrounding countryside ,affording slope and a beautifully varied terrain.
Moultonboro was granted by the Masonian propretors to Colonel Johnathan Moulton and 61 others on November 17, 1763; it was finally incorporated on November 27, 1777. The do*****ent was signed in the famous Stoodley's Tavern in Portsmouth and declared to be "for the encouragement and promoting of the settlement of the country." the entire area being described as "near Winnepissoky Pond."
The Famous Old Country Store, Moultonboro, N.H.
The town is steeped with Indian lore. The Ossipee tribe once resided in this community and some years since a tree was standing in Moultonboro on which was carved hieroglyhics, the history of their expedition. Many Indian implements and relics have been found, indicating this to have been once their favorite residence. In 1820, on a small island in Lake Winnipesaukee, a person discovered a curious gun barrel, much worn by age and rust, divested of its stock, enlosed in the body of a pitch pine tree, 16 inches in diameter. On the shore of the lake, at the mouth of Melvin River, a gigantic sleleton was found, about 60 years since, buried in sandy soil, apparently that of a man more than 7 feet tall, the jawbone easily passing over the face of a large man.
Copyright © by Lake Winnipesaukee - Lakes Region - NH Official Lakes Region Website and Lake Winnipesaukee information and News All Right Reserved.